Saturday, September 19, 2009

Spiral Men

The spiraling shape will make you go insane
(Everyone wants to see that groovy thing)
But everyone wants to see that groovy thing
(Everyone wants to see that thing)
And nobody knows what it's really like
But everyone says it's great
And they heard it from the spiral in their eyes


I woke up this morning, crawled out of bed, made a cup of coffee, read the paper and then went to the bathroom to shave. And then I dropped my coffee.
I blinked. At the time, I thought I saw something around my eyelid. I blinked again. I stayed up late doing work that night, and I guessed it was just my crows' feet moving a little bit. And I was right, but not entirely accurate.

My crows' feet were actually playing dead.

It was Saturday, a day off. So, naturally, I spent my day slouching around watching the television. My weekends were usually like this. Uneventful. Sometimes I would get a call from a mate to go to the pub, but most of the time I dismiss it quickly. I couldn't be fucked.

For a long time I couldn't stop thinking about my eyes. It sort of felt like they were quivering, moving, and at one point in the day, a little bit of my vision went white, and it gave me an awful headache.
I wandered into the bathroom later than night, holding my temples with my thumb and index fingers, and got some medicine. The throbbing was pretty terrible. After I swallowed both tablets, I had a long, hard look at myself. I thought of how much of a fuck-up I was, how I haven't achieved anything I ever wanted to in my life. I swore at my reflection, a few tears running down my check. I held my hand on the sink and looked down into the plug hole. I was there for several minutes.

Then I looked up at the mirror.

My right pupil slithered.

I thought I was seeing things, and chuckled it off a bit.

And then my right pupil opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment